Thursday, May 15, 2014

300 questions a day

We have flown through three weeks as if it was one.  We are still waiting on visas before we purchase the one way plane tickets.  The best way to illustrate our current mindset is this picture of Levi on a bungee jump ride at the beach last summer.

It is exciting and we are holding on, but it is like trying to take a sip from a fire hydrant each day.  We had spring break, the stomach bug, and a very suprising trip to the beach.  We spent a day with dear friends and said our first of many good byes.  I wrote blog posts in my head and never typed them out.  We cleared out another room and have had rental walk throughs every other night.  Beds are always made and art supplies tucked back into the cabniet before they arrive.

Because the days are so full, I try to spend a couple hours each morning out of the house with Ian.  If we stay here, I eventually start sorting, packing, and cleaning.  If we go to the park or library, I am all his.  Ian loves this time, and I need it too.  He has become a very chatty and inquisitive child.  He will turn four right before our move.  The boys and I read once that the average four year old asks 300 questions a day.  I am pretty sure he goes over that on some days.  Here is a small sampling of them:  "Why didn't God put our numbers on us? Do you know why we only have two eyes?  Where does sand come from?  Why don't the waves ever stop?  Why do you get mad when I whine?  Are you tired?  Why do you get tired?  Why do Luke and Levi have to go to school everyday?  Why did you spell my name IAN when we say E-an?  I think you spelled it wrong.  Why don't you have a baby in your belly?  Will you ever have a baby in your belly?"  All day long.  Those two hours riding bikes, or whispering in the library gives me time to look him in the eyes and answer each one.  The rest of the day is filled with, "I am not sure", "how about you get out the playdough?", or "let's just paint quietly, OK?"  There is little room for any complete answer before he has thought of the next question.  Ian does not like the "I don't know" answer.  He can't bear to think some things are simply out of his comprehensive grasp.
 Once Ian falls sleep, spilling out the last few questions he can muster, my brain switches gears and I begin asking the questions.  Jeff and I sit down to talk about the day and I ask, I wonder if we will get the house in Wormit, or if we will end up in Newport.  Do you think we should order the luggage now or wait until visas come in?  Would we order the tickets as soon as the visas come or make sure everything else is in place?  Why in the world do we have so many legos? I have always been filled with questions.  The questions aren't filled with fear or worry, they are just wonderings that will not all be answered today or even tomorrow.  Luke said one of the best parts of the suprise week at the beach was the the wind and surf was so loud we were all together but quiet.  And he is so right.  It was a windy, beautiful week.  We spent much of it bike riding, collecting shells, and digging shallow pools in the sand.  All of us together, but all quiet.  I spent time praying and thanking instead of asking.  What a beautiful reminder to make room for quiet gratitude in a season of excitement and transition.

Here are some things we are so thankful for as a family:
-clearer direction on where to live in Fife.  We are narrowed down to Wormit and Newport on Tay.  Both are small towns about 12 miles from St. Andrews.
-Incredible support from churches in these areas
-Two great schools that all three boys could go to in the fall
-both vehicles have solid, potential buyers
-a long list of people that would love to rent our home starting in July
-a beautiful home in Wormit, that may be the perfect fit for our family
-and reaching 98% in funding!

Thank you for all your prayers as we near the last month here.  We are soaking up every little bit of time with friends and family we have!
I  
  

1 comment:

  1. Teary-eyed with a thankful heart alongside you...praying for you all, luv, us

    ReplyDelete