After 48 hours in the hospital and one happy visit from the boys Jeff's body started tot fight an infection. His fever went up to 104 f and his heart rate increased at times to 140. His oxygen levels dropped, and the doctors tried desperately to find
the origin of the infection and the right antibiotic to combat it. My mom arrived and stayed with the boys and I stayed with Jeff as a steady stream of doctors and nurses checked his vitals and explained what they could. 24 hours in, the fever had not broken and they were on the last antibiotic they could give. I let his parents know to come as quickly as they could. I sent out desperate pleas to close friends to pray. And as his parents were in the air I didn't know what I would be telling them once they landed. Night two, the antibiotics started to work. It was a slow climb up. Our oncologist explained gently that he would continue with the five radio therapy treatments but that it was time to stop all other treatment. That the chemotherapy and Herceptin had stopped working long before. That the cancer in the spine had been growing when the last scan had shown the cancer was stable. Easy to miss when you are not expecting it, and when it is certainly not the norm. Another hard decision, another hard step. We explained we wanted to get Jeff home, to see friends and family and see those blue ridge mountains. He promised he would do what he could to get us there. When we had to cancel the Majorca tickets we had to exchange our tickets within 24 hours or risk losing all of the money. I switched the tickets to October 3rd with return tickets October 23rd not knowing if we would even be able to keep them.
The five day radio therapy stay turned into a ten day stay. The grandmas tag teamed tearful boys and a lively puppy. And after ten days I brought home a very frail and weak Jeff. We were so ready to have him home but afraid of what being home would look like. The doctors and nurses in Ward 32 had become a close knit support team. Their compassion and teamwork helped get us through some dark nights. We spent many a night praying for the patients that filled the rooms surrounding us. And we saw for the first time how quickly things can change at this stage in the game.
Yesterday, following another viewing of Chronicles of Narnia, Jeff explained to Luke the difference between D Day and V Day. The difference between Christ's victory on the cross, and his return and restoration. Luke with open ears and an anxious heart, began to find peace in the fact that the decisive blow of victory has already been won. For all things. In the midst of waters too deep, we too are finding peace and trust here one step at a time.
We will be arriving In Virginia October 4th. We are staying on a beautiful farm near Charlottesville,VA and UVA Hospital. So far all the many small details are coming together. Much love, Team Stables